Saturday, October 11, 2008

Museum of Natural History

Having lived in the city for more than a year now, it's truly a shame that today marked my first visit to the American Museum of Natural History. It's gargantuan. I spent nearly five hours there and didn't see much more than half the exhibits, and some that I did see I barely glanced at due to a crush of kids or the room temperature (they must keep different exhibits at different temps for preservation purposes, because it was blazing hot in some rooms and downright chilly in others). What a treasure for kids (and adults). I can only imagine how many careers in the natural sciences, anthropology, and archaeology were launched from multiple trips as a youngster. It left me a bit nostalgic for the time before I abandoned science as a course of study. Biochemistry certainly would have suited me, since I am a pretty solitary person...perhaps if I'd made it through that period of intense boredom with science ten or so years ago. Then again, I might be a miserable lab rat today. Ah well.

1 comment:

CV said...

Hey Patrick, thank you so much for your words of comfort last week. What you had to say really stuck with me, and you were able to put into words what I was feeling. I wrote when I was at the lowest point, and having friends like you really helped me get out of that funk. I'm much better now, and thank you again for being there. I can't tell you how much it means to me.