Friday, September 12, 2008

Do the Puyallup

I know the fair is going on back home; you know, that little taste of Americana that comes around once a year to help us say goodbye to summer? I didn’t think I’d miss it as much as I am…I could really go for a fair scone right now. There is nothing quite so bad-for-you-it’s-good as a fair scone oozing raspberry jam and butter. When the sun goes down and the rides light up the night, it’s pure youthful magic. Walking through the barns, it’s wonderful to see that, even as farmland continues to disappear in the Puget Sound area, a new generation of ranchers and farmers are continuing the great agricultural traditions that were the impetus for the first fair back in October of 1900. Plus, they sell the wackiest stuff at the fair and it's fun to see what new, useless items will be up for sale by a British guy with a headset (there must be some market research showing that the Brit accent sells in the US, because it seems like every other booth has an Englishman hocking their wares).

What I wouldn’t do just to have some trademark fair smells in my neighborhood….

www.thefair.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Patrick, it's Crystal, I was just stopping by to see how things are going on your side of the world. I'm actually heading out your way in the beginning of October to visit family all over the East Coast; my Great Aunt lives in either Queens or Brooklyn…I can’t remember which at the moment…! Small world, eh?

Anyhow, I saw this post about the Puyallup, and thought it was interesting to read about how you miss it, because I guess I take it for granted. I'm not going to be able to go this year, but if I do next year, remind me and I'll send you a scone. I know, it wont be as good after a few days in the mail..but if you want it, I'll do it. :)

It’s good to hear that you are doing well, and found a job where you can have a flexible schedule like that. Best of luck to you, feel free to look me up when you’re out here! Dynamite333 at hotmail.com.

Cheers!

CV said...

Hey Patrick, I miss the fair too. I was just in Spokane a few days ago, and I reminisced (sp) about the days I used to spend at Riverfront Park, specifically the Carousel. I have the same feelings towards that place as you do the fair.

I could also go for a fair scone right now! Maybe I can get someone to send me some mix and I can make them at home...