Saturday, August 30, 2008

General Update

I realized that I don't use this blog as a way to keep in touch with people, though I probably should, since I am so horrible at keeping in touch through other avenues. To all those whom I have been remiss in contacting, my apologies; and a quick rundown of the last few months:

1. I did not take the job with UNICEF. It was in the IT department. It was a general services position (administrative assistant). I worked in a darkly lit cubicle. They took more than 5 months to make a hiring decision. They weren't going to be very flexible. In the end, it just wasn't right for me.

2. I took a job at a hotel in midtown Manhattan as a Reservations Agent. It is definitely an actor's side job and most of the people I work with are actors, including a very good friend who basically got me the job--that's been the best part. We have a great understanding boss. This is, interestingly enough, my first job at a for-profit company (past jobs have been for a small city, a university, and a non-profit--support Habitat for Humanity at http://www.tpc-habitat.org/).

3. I'm a member of a production company, The Collective (http://www.thecollective-ny.com/), that has been working toward a production of a new play written by one of our members. I'll have more info on that as the details get ironed out. Very exciting!

4. It's taken me more than a year to really begin to understand how this business works, and I've only just begun to learn. I had some expectations about building a life here (personally and professionally), and those have been exploded. So I'm trying to pick up the pieces and find a path that works for me. It's very slow going at this point.

5. On that personal side, I am single again after four years. If you want to know what Paige is up to in sunny L.A., you can follow her (until recently, at least) at http://www.creativesupernova.blogspot.com/.

6. Still living in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, which is a beautiful, if slightly less quiet as of late, neighborhood.

I really do hope to talk to you soon, all you whom I've missed. I'll be in Tacoma in late September for a wedding, so perhaps we can meet for a drink in one of those lovely new bars and restaurants that seem to be popping up everywhere back there.

Cheers!

1 comment:

CV said...

Congrats on the job and the production! Keep me posted, I want to hear all about it. And hopefully I'll make it to NYC one of these days so I can see and hear all these places you are talking about. :)