Saturday, May 24, 2008

Coming to America


Picture 022
Originally uploaded by patbonck
My dad was in town for a few days last week and we took the opportunity to visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. It was an absolutely miserable day, drenching rain and wind made it cold and obscured the usually spectacular views from the islands. It was a godsend when we reached Ellis Island and spend hours in the museum drying off while learning all about the immigrant experience at the turn of the century. It was sobering. We saw cots that were stacked three or four high in the room, which could then be folded up to give extra space during the day. These were for immigrants who were detained. The miserable day suddenly seemed a whole lot more bearable.

Later, we were able to search for family, and I found my great-grandfather (Pasquale "Patrick" Martelli) and my great-uncle (Alessandro "Alex" Martelli). My great-grandfather arrived in 1915 at the age of 14, and was detained for awhile because he had eczema. Eventually, he made his way out west, working on the railroads and was able to sponsor uncle Alex to follow him in 1921 (at the age of 16). Uncle Alex's ship's manifold listed that his brother, Pasquale, was sponsoring him and listed an address in Oregon.

Great-grandpa's name was also on the honor wall (the only family member we could find, probably because he came here on a wing and a prayer, with no family here to speak of). The wall has some 500,000 names on it, and is set up in a giant circle with names on both the inside and outside. That's his name on the wall in the flickr photo.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I have a "vanity search alert" for my name (Alex Martelli) on blogs, which got triggered by this post -- then I read through your blog's archives; being a first generation Italian immigrant myself, I'm fascinated by stories of immigration (I don't blog, but I'm easy to find on search engines;-).

Alas, my branch of the Martellis comes from Toscana by way of Emilia, so any connection with your Molise branch are going to be tenuous at best; nevertheless I feel oddly "connected" even by just the name!-)