Monday, February 11, 2008

Year of the Rat


Ugh...dragon breath.
Originally uploaded by patbonck
The Chinese (Lunar) New Years parade wound it's way along Mott Street in Chinatown yesterday. I was there to snap some photos and freeze my ass off (the day got progressively colder, and it didn't help that I stood in the same spot for close to three hours). The only godsend, and I never thought I'd find myself saying this, was the crush of people around me--our combined output of body heat kept us just warm enough to survive. Not 15 minutes after the parade, it started to snow.

Click through the photo to see the full set, including grown men in rat costumes, kung fu kids, and plenty of annoying "party poppers," spewing confetti and glittery ribbons into the air and all over the spectators.

No comments: